Monday, October 20, 2008

Trees & Printers

In the continuing series of tree encaustic paintings, I just finished one. I'm pleased. The look is just right for how I felt about the original photograph which was taken in the rain. With the change in the weather it seems appropriate to have been finished today. I walked into my studio this morning and it was 60 glorious degrees. Anyone who works in encaustic will appreciate the fact that today's drop in temp was a boon to art making. I had two grills going at the same time, double the space and double the heat. Whoopee. I look forward to a chilly winter. Of course, here in the "southland" it never gets very cold or at least it never stays cold for more than a few hours. Especially these days I don't even have a heavy winter coat. Layers, that's what it's all about here.

Well, I did it! I bought a wide format printer (albeit reFURbished). To say I can hardly wait to use it is an understatement. The idea of producing larger photos is so intriquing to me. When I had a darkroom I was so free to produce any size I wanted (well maybe not any size). Being stuck producing 8 1/2 x 11 prints has literally driven me crazy. No more. In a week I will be off on another great adventure.

No comments: