Thursday, January 31, 2008

Almost Finished

I'm now almost finished with the paintings for the Trinity School artists market. What a pleasant surprise to find new imagery, well not quite new, but new in terms of the encaustics I'm painting. Trees have become so important to me and I think that is not surprising since I have now been working in a suburban setting for almost three years. Before, my studio looked out upon a gravel parking lot and the only yard work necessary was to kick the gravel off the entry pad. Though I have missed my old studio with its high ceiling and bountiful room, I am now beginning to take advantage of the fact that there are lovely trees so close to me and they are so beautiful.
Not just that they are beautiful but they have also been suffering through the drought. I want to be their protector though I know I can't.


For years my work has really focused on the manmade structure of the urban environment. When I pulled out the many photographic prints I have made there were enumerable photos of trees from every angle: macros, abstractions, the list goes on. So here I am embarking on new territory and feeling a kinship with the images. What they mean to me I'm not quite sure yet. But I don't have to know. I will continue to work and let the images come through me and melt into the panels. I am now finding my way back to photography in the most unexpected way.

No comments: